Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

Baking is a Beautiful Thing!

Here is my strawberry pie I made this evening from local berries I picked up from the Bush-N-Vine.


Homemade pies always look so much more interesting, don't you think? Imperfection is perfect in my book. The fun was that I pulled the recipes from my grandmother Zelda's Betty Crocker Cookbook. Can we say, really old? Some of the pages were so worn you couldn't read all of the pie crust directions and the spine is falling apart.





Makes me want to cry thinking about her in the kitchen. And let me tell you, she lived in that kitchen. Cooking twice a day, sometimes three, and canning what came out of her garden or baking for the holidays. They didn't call it housework for nothing, ya'll.

So in order to compensate for those tasty strawberry calories I am about to partake in, I made a chicken salad for tonight's dinner. It was good but a little on the tart side because I used greek yogurt instead of mayo. I would suggest using maybe a tad more honey.


Here's the ingredients:

     1 1/2 cup diced chicken
     1/2 vadilla sweet onion, diced
     1/2 teaspoon curry
     1/2 teaspoon paprika
     1 tablespoon pure honey
      handful of red grapes, cubed
     1/4 jar of artichoke salad (contains olives, artichokes and peppers)
     small container of greek yogurt

Garnish with balsamic dressing. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment